Sunday, January 18, 2015

New Year's Thoughts

Well, it's mid-January, so the new year isn't quite so new, the holidays are long past, decorations stored, kids back at college, and we're pretty much settling in for the wait until spring.  There were lots of things on my mind as the calendar changed, though, so I thought I'd share them with you.

I noticed around November that the usual spate of "hey, the new year is approaching and you need to get in shape" ads seemed to start really early this time around.  Usually they don't really start hitting the airwaves until almost Christmas, because let's face it: admitting that you want to change yourself and get in shape and such is a bad idea before Christmas, and it wouldn't surprise me if there was some food advertising lobby that said to the fitness advertising lobby, "hey, back off, let 'em get fat.  You can have them after Christmas."  After all, the two sides can't peacefully co-exist, really, can they?

But this year it seemed like Weight Watchers, Nordic Trac, and all the other health ads were in full swing by Thanksgiving.  Please realize that I'm not a huge fan of the new year's resolution (that feels like it should be capitalized, doesn't it??), because it's too easy to blow it early and then figure you've messed up the entire year.  And I remember being at Weight Watchers meetings in January and hating them - really big crowds of people!  Sometimes it was like I was thinking, "hey, new people should have their own time; this is for the folks who have been here.  Most of you will quit in a month, anyway!"  And sadly that was true: I did think along those lines, and they did quit in a month.  So why shouldn't those ads be going as early as they were?  Maybe people should start on November 17 because it's November 17.

This idea even came up at the Christmas Eve service at our church this year!  Apparently overheard in a supermarket checkout line was a statement (hopefully not from someone from my church!) along the lines of "oh, it's Christmas Eve.  All the visitors will be at church tonight, and I can't stand that."  REALLY???  As disciples of Christ, committed to the idea of spreading the gospel to all corners of the Earth, you don't want visitors in church celebrating Christ's birth???  Wow.  Who would say that?

My friend Jessica has some thoughts on this subject, and since A) she had already written her blog, and B) it's better than the one you're currently reading, I figured C) why reinvent the wheel?  So I give you, dear readers, a post from "Run, Brinksy, Run," the musings of friend and former colleague Jessica Brinks.  The following words belong to her, and she has graciously allowed me to re-post them here:

 
So you've probably seen this meme floating around on the internet the past few days...

I will admit that I love a good meme and so I chuckled the first time I saw it.  And then I saw it again... And again...  And then a few more times.

And now it's my turn to call bullshit.

Because since when have we decided that ridiculing people for trying to better themselves is a good idea?
Picture
People like to complain that all the "resolutioners" come in and crowd the gyms, complaining about the inconvenience all the extra people are and praying for the day that they all quit so that they can "have the gym back to themselves."

Ouch.  I hope I'm never one of those people who sets a goal for themselves and has people actively wishing for the day I give up on my goals.

I will admit, yes, that overcrowding in the gym is obnoxious.  And I've been there, frustrated by the masses of people and irritated by the lack of available weights or treadmills.  I've had the thought cross my mind that if I just wait it out, things will get better.  This year though, I'm going to look at it differently. 

These people are there because they want to be better.  And who am I to knock them down from trying to achieve their goals?  I believe it was the great Rocky Balboa who once said...

Every champion was once a contender who refused to give up.
There isn't a single one of us who dropped out of the womb and ran a marathon.  Who was able to bench press the bodyweight of a human immediately upon birth.  Who was delivered by a stork, wearing a pair of running shoes and saying "Let's do this!"  We all had to start at the beginning once.  For some of us, it wasn't even that long ago.  I may have been "athletic" my whole life, but I never started running (on a semi-serious basis) until a few years ago.  I remember all too well the struggle of trying to make it half a mile without dying.  Of thinking that a 5k was an impossible distance.  So to those who are willing to take on this adventure of becoming a more fit, healthier, happier human being?  I applaud you.

Too many people complain about busy gyms in one sentence and then turn around and in the next wax poetic on the sad state of affairs of the health of our nation.  Of climbing obesity rates and unhealthy habits.  And yet, when we as a country resolve to do better, we get ridiculed and mocked for our public declarations. 
Picture
For those who cry out that there's no need to wait until a specific date to start your new resolutions?

Ok, you're right.  You don't have to wait.  But what's wrong with wanting to start with a "clean slate?"  What's wrong with picking a starting point and planning to move forward from there?

Veyr few things in life happen without planning and forethought and picking a date, however arbitrary, helps people prepare not only physically, but mentally as well.  You find me a road race that says "Just start somewhere on this street and finish whenever..." and I'll show you the worst organized event in the history of running.  EVERY JOURNEY MUST HAVE A BEGINING.  And who am I to judge what day that begining should occur on.

This year, I will make my own resolutions. Some of them will be the same as last year, because, for a variety of reasons (READ: excuses, but that's just me judging me) I did not make all of my goals for 2014. But that's the great thing about resolutions. No one says they have to change. There is nothing wrong with starting over, setting your sights on a goal, and working to achieve it.

I hope all of you "resolutioners" out there are successful in 2015.  Take this opportunity to prove all the haters wrong and that setting goals and doing what you need to do to achieve those goals is admirable.  And may we all be supportive of each other in our journeys this year.  There's enough Negative Nancy's out there.  We got this. 

Thanks, Jessica!  Meanwhile, I am off to the doc tomorrow for the annual physical.  Look to this space in the near future for the results!  Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment