Thursday, January 3, 2013

I Get By With a Little Help from My Friends

Well, 2013 is off to a decent start.  Starting last Sunday I have now exercised five (5) (FIVE!) days in a row.  A pretty big accomplishment on the one hand, but when you figure I, a seriously overpaid, union-card-carrying public school teacher, am still on one of my extended vacations that normal people just don't get to have, it's pretty easy...  The hard part starts next Monday, when I go back to school.

I have found over the years that whether I am in school/working or not, it is MUCH easier to stay on any lifestyle change, eating, or exercise plan if you have someone around to help, support, or do things with you.  And, dear reader, I have a host of people in my life.  Want to hear about them?  Too bad - here they are, anyway:)

For about 15 years now, I think, I have been lifting weights at TB's Gym.  No membership fees ever.  No showers, locker room, or sauna, either.  TB goes to my church and has been a weight lifter most of his life, and we work out in his basement.  (Jeanne is his sainted wife.)  He and Pastor Dan and I have been there officially the longest (I'm in third place in that group), then we added Jason, followed by Tim, and as of sometime last school year, Daylin and Mitch.

I haven't been as faithful as everyone in the gym, mostly between being busy at school frequently as well as many days of being, well, lazy.  But when I miss, they let me know it!  So quite often I go because I don't want to get the grief from the guys!!  (Daylin is the worst, since I see him daily, followed by TB...  And TB bears NO excuses.)  I even won a trophy a few years ago in a local bench press competition.

A couple years ago I set an all-time PR for bike miles for the calendar year at 2,860 (which I just call 3,000).  And all along those miles I had folks from the shop (Velo City, where I am gainfully employed and is a very cool place) like MC, Kaat, Berger, Aaron, JD, Dennis, Sandy, John and Pat, and many, many others.  We ride on Tuesday nights, Thursday and Friday mornings, and occasionally a weekend day.  And it's like a club.  The morning greetings, the teasing about flats, gear, or kit are half of what gets me there.  The other half is the bagels, which are awesome.

I rode several hundred with my brother Kevin, too.  That particular summer we rode on our respective birthdays a mile for every year.  56 for his and 46 for mine.  Had a blast.  Also did the 24-Hour Challenge together (more on that later).

Why is this so important?  Weight Watchers has statistics showing how much more weight a person loses just because he/she is working with a friend.  Maybe it's...  PEER PRESSURE??  That's OK, though; this is a good example of that.

My darling daughter, Erin, from whom I get my writing style, has decided that she, too, will be assisting me in my efforts a la Mick.  you can read her blog post on that topic if you'd like.  Read her other ones, too.  She's quite the wordsmith.

Sister Pam has volunteered assistance as well.  A life coach in addition to being a big bossy sister gives her an edge here, probably.

I am blessed by the people and activities in my life.  Even the comments on Facebook and these blog posts are examples of how this all works.  Thanks!!  Here's a tribute to all of you:
(I like the Joe Cocker version better than the original...)

Next up:  when "encouragement" becomes annoying, or "I need to do this for MYSELF."  You won't want to miss it.

3 comments:

  1. My mind is already racing with anecdotes on your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you bro'.

    I DO have mercy once in awhile!!!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe cooker did everything better than the original. The Beatles should have just let him cover their entire catalog.

    ReplyDelete