Thursday, January 31, 2013

Monthly Update

Well, folks, it's been a month (I know, I can't believe it, either...), and things are looking pretty good here at my house.  At least as far as re-establishing SOME healthy habits; still working on a few!

Want some specifics?  Too bad - here they are.  Number-type stats first, then some reflections.  Or at least idle thoughts...


  • Starting weight ca. Jan 1 - 226 lbs
  • Weight as of Jan. 31 - 218.5 lbs
    • Net loss of 7.5 lbs.
  • 22 workout days
    • 142 miles on the bike (all indoors...)
    • 8 gym/weightlifting sessions
    • 17 hours total exercise
    • 13,234 calories burned (based on MapMyRide's calculations - possibly high?)
And the promised idle thoughts:

Not a bad start!  Let me surprise a few of my faithful readers and look at the bright side first.  I've lost seven and a half pounds and worked out far more days than not.  The days I didn't get a workout in were due to illness (four days), a cancellation from TB (one), a concert day, and some just plain lazy ones.  I've established somewhat of a routine, working exercise into my (almost) daily life.  I even started practicing my trumpet again, since I have several performances with the HJO coming up this spring.  Good stuff.

Some challenges still remain, though.  My chiropractor and several others tell me I don't stretch enough.  Could be because I don't stretch at all...  I have a very specific stretching regimen that my chiropractor set up for me; perhaps I will start on it next month.  A mere three months after it was given to me:)

Food is still not completely under control.  When I track the occasions for these choices, they almost totally fall under the category of "Convenience."  Tired, pressed for time, guests at the house, whatever.  We actually were talking the other night about being tired of pizza.  On the upside, though, is the fact that while I'm not making great choices all the time, I'm at least trying to limit my badness.  Two slices of pizza is fine, thank you, and no more bread sticks.  I can still destroy a large burger and fries, though.  So I try to not go to places that serve those.  

Speaking of fries, I'm pretty convinced that I have officially passed the age limit for deep fried foods.  (Sorry, I took a moment there to mourn...)  Dana and Erin and I went out for dinner on Dana's birthday the other night.  Beechwood Inn's lake perch are quite awesome.  But it seems lately that when I eat deep fried stuff I feel very, very uncomfortable.  The basic idea is that my abdomen seems to bloat like a tick...  So I will try to a.) limit the intake of those foods, and b.) make sure the occasion and quality of the food is worth the discomfort (i.e.  Beechwood's perch beats Russ' hands down and is worth the pain).

In the gym I'm pretty happy as well.  I'm almost back to full strength since my surgery last year (this has NOTHING to do with my surgery - that was just about the time I kind of quit going for about a year).  We kind of alternate between "heavy month" and "do whatever TB says, which is probably not lightweight month," and January finished well - yesterday's chest and biceps workout saw some good bench press weight, where Daylin, Dan, and I finished with single-rep sets of 250 lbs. after building up from 8-rep sets starting at 135 and adding 20 lbs per set.  

My pants are still snug, and there are a few shirts I still won't wear.  They fit, but they're not flattering.  And I still have several pair (pairs?) of pants that are too snug to be comfortable.  I actually have one pair of Levi's 501 jeans that are my favorite jeans ever.  I've had them since about 1996.  34 waist, slim fit.  I got into them a year ago.  Not comfy, but they were on, they were buttoned, and I wore them around the house.  My goal is to look good enough in them again to wear them to school.

Well, I seem to be running out of what little coherence I started with, so I will probably go back to Facebook or something.  Thanks for hanging in there with me.  I have a few more ideas in the pipeline for posts, but feel free to suggest a topic.  

1 comment:

  1. KW,

    Congratulations on your monthly loss. That is a great achievement. I think it takes time to really set in that long-lasting change.

    I would definitely recommend the stretching sooner than later. I have been doing yoga daily, and the idea is that as your flexibility increases, the amount of energy it takes your muscles to move decreases. Also, there is a lot of tension that we carry around in our bodies without even knowing it due to our daily stresses, and a good stretch does a great deal to get those out.

    I don't think there's an age limit for fried foods; they are bad for everyone. I recently cut out fried foods in my own journey of personal health and well-being, and I feel so much better. It really is not healthy, and while the body will tell us that for sure, not everybody is really listening. That or I am also too old for fried foods.

    Keep it up. You remain an inspiration to me in many ways.

    JVH

    ReplyDelete