Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Detox Week 2

Well, so far, so good...  On day 9 of 28, I believe, and am actually thinking that this will be way easier than I ever thought.  As I type, however, Dana is in the kitchen juicing wheat grass.  Yeah, wheat grass.  Apparently it's amazing for you.  It's allure is lost on me, but I'll persevere.  Gives a whole new meaning to "having a shot after work," though.

Here's what I see so far, and I'm quite surprised:
  • Pretty sure I've consumed more fruits and vegetables (solid or liquid form) in these nine days than in the entire year so far.  That may be a stretch, but not a really long one.
  • My skin is softer and drier.  Seriously.  Al of my life I have had oily skin, and by the end of most days it will leave a sheen on my fingers as I wipe my head.  That's gone.
  • I haven't lost weight (yet), but can definitely feel that my digestive tract (btw, it's "tract," not "track," for those who are wondering...) is much happier.  Frequently after meals I experience discomfort such as bloating or general pain, and haven't had that in nine days, really.
  • I haven't eaten an animal product in that time, either, with the exception of however much parmesan cheese is in the sauce in Vitale's gluten-free veggie pizza (with no cheese).
  • I don't really miss animal products.  Dairy was an easy one; not a huge fan of milk anyway, and I can take or leave cheese.  I do, however, miss some of the texture and general feel of meat (sorry, Margaux!) sometimes.  Like when someone mentioned a pulled pork BBQ sandwich.  Yeah, I wanted one...  Part of the goal here, though, is to change habits for the long term, so I think cutting back on animal products will indeed be easy in that respect.
  • I DON'T MISS BREAD.  (Full disclosure - Dana found some awesome flourless bread.  Made with sprouted grains, but no flour.  So I don't know how that works; it's not gluten-free, and it's still made with wheat grains, but it's not the same as the real thing - check it out here.)  Rolls, bread, pizza crust, Howie Bread (I swear that stuff is made of crack...), and that sort of thing are out.  I think that the refined/bleached/processed flour may be a culprit in the above-mentioned discomfort after meals; the flourless bread causes no trouble and it's great.  Seriously, as good as any bread I've had.
Just took a time out for a shot of fresh wheat grass juice.  Mmmmmmm....

  • It's easier than I thought.  And Dana isn't doing ALL the work.  Yesterday I made hummus, for instance.  And my morning smoothies are quite tasty, thank you very much.  (They have kale in them...  Really.  I know, I know.  Who am I and what have I done with the real Keith Walker??)

Here are some things that didn't totally surprise me:
  • Yeah, not much I can think of...
So there you go.  There's the beginning/middle of week two.  It's going well so far!

1 comment:

  1. Love your post. You are doing awesome! If you want to find out why you secretly believe all of that bread is made of crack, it's (kind of) because your body reacts the same way to it….read the book Wheat Belly - great info and you'll never get the term "Bagel Butt" out of your head! From a fellow detoxer (Angela in GR)

    ReplyDelete