Friday, July 25, 2014

I Promised to Never Do This...

I grew up in the 70's, basically; the era when people first, I believe, became serious about quitting smoking.  My mom quit, an ex-brother-in-law, my brother, sister Pam, and lots of other adults in my life at that time.  And during that time and the ensuing few years, I noticed a trend among the quitters: they became annoying as hell.  Every time they saw someone smoking they'd talk about how amazing they were feeling because they had quit, then they'd proceed to basically tell everyone within earshot that the health benefits of quitting were second to none, and that all the people in the world were stupid for smoking.  (Which is all true.  But boy, was it annoying.)

So I promised myself, based on that idea, to not ever be that way about stuff.  I don't know your circumstances.  Why would I presume to tell you how to live your life?  So yeah...  I'm breaking that promise for this one occasion...

If you'll recall this post from February you'll remember I had the best annual physical of my life.  The doc wanted to follow up in about six months, which was yesterday.  And things were even better.  I've lost ten more pounds since then.  I have maintained my healthy lifestyle.  I have been taken off my blood pressure medication.  Please re-read that last sentence.

My father died at age 71 due to complications from heart disease, high blood pressure, and diabetes.  Pretty much ALL of which are preventable adult-onset diseases.  About 20 years ago, just before he died, my family doctor was a little concerned about my BP.  So we talked about diet and exercise, and I cut down on salt and caffeine and things went well.  For about the next fifteen years or so my BP was OK, but never "low."  It was basically just under control, until a few years ago, when I started getting regular readings in the 130/90 to 150/100 range.  Once I even got turned away from giving blood because it was too high!  My internist said then that since high BP has a genetic component, at my age there wasn't much to be done and he put me on a low dose of meds.  And it remained a good thing until about a week ago, when I started feeling dizzy upon standing up, especially after kneeling or bending.  One morning, according to the home BP monitor, my pressure was 95/66.  "PADDLES!"  "CLEAR!"  (I know, that's a heart thing, but still, I was pretty sure I was dead.)  So, knowing I had an appointment this week, I didn't take my medicine for a few days.  And yesterday, in the middle of the day, unmedicated, taken by a pro, my BP was 112/78.  Wow.  So I thought about writing this.

And here is what I would like to say.  And please forgive the rant to which you are about to be exposed; I know you're not used to hearing me rant.  But someone has to say it, I think:

No, really.  STOP .  Stop eating junk.  Stop drinking poisonous chemical soups made from high fructose corn syrup and sugar with added chemical flavors and sugars.  Stop eating things you can't pronounce.  (OK, you can have quinoa.  And kohlrabi is all right, but I still don't know what it is...)  Processed foods are not of this world!!  Lately there's a Speedway commercial in which the participants are happily dancing about, carrying giant jugs of frozen HCFS with artificial flavoring and looking all happy about it.  (A 22-oz Extreme Strawberry Speedy Freeze has an astounding 49 grams of sugar!  That's over four tablespoons, or a quarter cup of sugar.  And that's the 22-oz size.  They're all dancing with the 32s.)

I don't remember the last time I had a Diet Coke.  Has to be last October.  I don't remember the last time I had heartburn, either.  Or diarrhea (sorry...).  Ben and Jerry's must be losing money in the stock market, because it's been almost a year, I think.  (OK, six months.  But still.  And hey, at least B&J doesn't use weird chemicals when they make their ice cream.)  

I see the things kids eat at lunch, and even before I decided to change things it made me want to scream.  One kid brings in three cookies and a Gatorade from the cafeteria virtually every day.  NOT for dessert.  For LUNCH.  Still others supplement their "nutrition" with full-sugar sodas.  And don't get me started on energy drinks.  Those things were one step above illegal when I was in high school, and now the companies sponsor sports teams and stuff.

Want to know what else is healthier around here?  My colon.  (Sorry again...)  But I did have part of it removed a few years ago;  I dare you to Google images of diverticulitis.  Seriously.  It's awful.  And my doctor tells me it used to be reserved for people in their 70s or so, and now he sees guys with it in their late 20s.  He blames processed food.  Apparently your colon needs some exercise, and like playing video tennis, processed food doesn't really cut it.

I know it's difficult.  And I know I will fail on some level myself.  Even yesterday I downed a significant amount of Peanut M&Ms, but my habits are far better than a year ago.  Can you exercise more?  Of course you can.  Can you eat  better?  You know how it goes: if I can do it, you can do it.  Seriously, I have ZERO willpower.  If I can lose almost 40 pounds, anyone can.  It's not rocket science.  It might be food science...  The right kind of fuel makes all the difference.  Trust me, your body will thank you.  Mine has.  So has my doctor.  And Nurse Letty, who's like everyone's mom at the doctor's office.  There's nothing quite like a smile and high praise from Mom, and that's exactly what I got yesterday.  She even talked about the VIP treatment I seem to be getting around there, with the doc himself getting me from the waiting room (full disclosure - we go to the same church, but he's never come to get me before the last two visits).  

Stop complaining about heartburn.  Because it's your body telling you to stop eating what you're eating.  Stop complaining about your "beer gut," (there's officially no such thing, by the way).  I have never had what anyone would call a "flat" stomach, but I will tell you how much flatter and better-feeling it is the last 6-8months.  

See, the thing I managed to figure out (totally on my own, obviously; no one has ever suggested this might actually be the case) is that diet and exercise make a difference.  Together they make a bigger difference.  Who knew??  Wait a second...  EVERYONE knows that.  We just don't do it.


 

3 comments:

  1. LOVE IT WALKER! I'm so super proud of you. :) Totally motivated right now... Hoping that motivation will last me through lunch and 2:00 in the afternoon, around which time my craving for a can of Coke turns me into the Hulk... Still! So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can hook you up with the great stuff we use. I don't credit it for everything, but the drinks and some of the nutritional supplements are really good. Facebook me if you want details. We have Ironman participants and everything joining the program.

      Delete