Tuesday, July 23, 2013

For Dennis (because it's not all about me...)

So as I sit here I realize that it's been TEN days since I last posted.  Far too long to keep any readership on the edge of its seat, eagerly awaiting my next pearls of wisdom or tales of my exploits (I don't even think I have any of either of those things...)

As it turns out, according to Google Blogger, most of you who read this hook up to it via the Book of the Face.  And don't we all...  What is it about that particular "social" medium that connects over a billion people while at the same time leaving them so unconnected?  

Over the years on the bike I have met some very cool people.  One of these folks is Dennis, who has been a great conversationalist for literally hundreds of miles.

"Nice transition, there, Walker," many of you are thinking right now.  But as it turns out, Dennis and Facebook and conversation all connected just this past week.  And I thought maybe I should put some thoughts down on paper.  Oh, stop, you know what I mean... 

"Dennis, I tried tagging you on FB yesterday and couldn't find you.  Are you off it again?"
"Absolutely," was the immediate answer.  "And for good this time, too.  I can't stand the 'me, me, me' about it all any more.  It wasn't good for me to go there."  
"Yeah, but how are you going to read my blog any moooorrrre..." I whined back, somehow missing the irony.

Dennis may feel the need to change that quote; I really don't know if it's completely accurate.  But either way it gave me pause and forced some thought.  Because he's right.

What is "social" media if not a great big sign screaming look how (cool, important, amazing, unique...) I am?  Maybe that's a bit harsh; after all, I get TONS of great links to news of the world of education (thanks, Marilyn and Alison) and cycling as well as many other fun nuggets of world events. 

"Walker, that pic I put on Instagram has 120 likes already."  This news was delivered by a student who snapped a pic of me attempting to not fall off his long board in the band room (the only real safe place for me to accomplish such a task).  Kids, I think, are probably the most at risk here; how much of their self-worth is tied up in how many "likes" they get?  Is it like being picked first or last for the softball team in gym class?  (How many times have I seen a status of "like my status for _____", and when the "like" icon is clicked the person responds with how amazing you are, or how you met, or whatever.  So liking the status gets some attention for both parties...)  Or is it something they, in the speed of our modern technology-driven world, don't even think about because the next picture is already up and they need to "like" it?  (It is called Instagram, after all.)  By the way, if you think I didn't get a little excited about those 120 likes then you really don't know me all that well...

So what is up with this?  Sister Pam would say it's our chronic need for validation.  And she is a big proponent (I mean BIG) of "self-validation."  She and I have had several conversations about this.  When I started teaching in the late 1980s, the self esteem movement was in full swing.  There was a poster called "How many ways are there to say 'you didn't do that correctly'?"  And there was a list of about a hundred phrases that said, in the most gentle terms, "ya screwed up, kid; try again" without really saying it.  Some of this was a good idea; some just drove me crazy and continues to do so to this day.  At what point do we just stop believing (sorry, Journey) anyone because we are constantly told we're great?  Maybe it's called SELF esteem because it comes from ourSELVES...

So sometimes I seriously wonder about our social media culture.  Are we ALL just looking for validation?  Is this blog, my latest adventure in putting myself in front of the public, nothing more than an exercise in "I hope people love and support me"?  I certainly hope not, but can also see how easy that could be.  How many Facebook posts do we make that are simply bragging that we probably wouldn't do otherwise?  

OR, because I can't help seeing both sides of arguments (how did that happen?), is it really something we do to stay connected with each other, especially far away folks?  I have a bunch of former students and band parents on my FB friends list, most of whom are in far-flung places such as California (hi, Deb and Monica!), Texas (how's it going, Brian!), and Washington state (Ski!!).  And it's cool to hear from those folks and see what's up with them, and also be able to update them occasionally on what I am doing.

So what the heck is the point of this post, anyway?  I'm not sure I really know.  I'm not even sure it makes sense or is any good. (ooohhh, fishing for validation again, are we??  nah.  I know it's not my best.  And now I have too much time into it to scrap the whole thing.)  My weight loss, exercise, and other experiments in wellness are something I'm doing for myself, but I am glad to hear voices of support, encouragement, or whatever from others.  And maybe my musings will be of some value to someone in a similar situation to mine.  Is that the point?  I don't know.  But I hope you enjoyed reading this one.

So Dennis, I will email you the link to this post, because not only do I value you and your feedback on my thoughts, but also because much of my self-worth is tied up in how many page views Google tells me I get for this blog ;)  

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy what you write, bro'. I hope you continue to do so.

    I believe that we have been created to give and to receive love. In other words, to connect is part of our God-given design. We crave it. There's nothing wrong with that.

    As I've coached/counseled over the years, I am amazed at how many of my clients have relied on texting AS the way to communicate with a boy/girlfriend. Discussing crucial issues face-to-face rarely happens. Hearing the voice of a significant other, its tone and more rarely occurs. Body language, facial expressions are not observed. I challenge clients who communicate in this way to evaluate if the relationship is genuine or an illusion.

    I crave to connect - (and not to enmesh myself with others!). I realize that connecting on Facebook over the years has often fooled me - seduced me? - into thinking that connections made there are real. I actually empathize with those who use texting in the way I describe above!

    I have spent too much time connecting with people on Facebook at the expense of cultivating relationships I have with those I know in "real" life: decreased phone calls - especially to those who have chosen to not open a Facebook account; less face-to-face get-togethers like going out for coffee, etc.

    I have recently deactivated both my personal and business Facebook pages because it gave me the illusion of "connecting". I miss you, Keith. I miss seeing the pictures that those I love post. But I'm now free from being preoccupied with thoughts like, "Did I write that in a way that didn't offend someone?" "Crap, I put all that time in and not ONE person acknowledged me - even by saying, 'what you stated, Pam, is ridiculous." My mind is freed to more fully enjoy my husband, my kids, my friends.

    I love and need validation - we all do!!! That's OK. Those who are INvalidated on a regular basis have difficulty functioning. Invalidation is conveying, "You don't count!"

    And damnit - we DO count!!! Each one of us.

    You said, "My weight loss, exercise, and other experiments in wellness are something I'm doing for myself, but I am glad to hear voices of support, encouragement, or whatever from others. And maybe my musings will be of some value to someone in a similar situation to mine. Is that the point?"

    You go, bro'!!!! You go!!! I'll support you! I'll encourage you! I VALIDATE you.

    (I'm in the process of writing another blog - but am not sure what direction to take. I know that you'll validate me by at least reading what I write!!!)

    I'll be coming to Michigan on a week-end in August with Sam and Phil. I want to SEE YOU FACE-TO-FACE! I want to HEAR YOUR VOICE!

    Love you muchly!

    Your eldest sibling.

    ReplyDelete