Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Monthly Update - July 2013

Ahhh, July...  Riding hits full stride, the form on the bike is finally up to par, and it's my birthday month.  And then it all comes to an end and band camp happens and then summer fades, and...  oh, never mind.  Let's just enjoy where we are right now.

Here's the monthly stats a day early:

  • Weight as of Jan. 1, 2013 - 226 lbs
  • Weight as of July 30, 2013 - 211 lbs
  • Net loss - 15 lbs!!
  • 27 workouts - 4 different bikes, a couple sessions at the gym
  • 511.12 miles on the above-mentioned machines
Unfortunately I am still struggling a bit with the tendinitis in my right shoulder.  Physical therapy was a big help, but lifting weights still bothers it.  Lifting and hanging bikes at the shop makes it flare up as well.  It usually goes away over night, but there have been some painful moments.

HAPPY stuff:
  • 3 (THREE) times in recent weeks I have used the word "happy" to describe my current mood.  It's an under-used word in my vocabulary...
  • I went shopping in my closet.  Found two pair of pants that fit again :)
  • Bought a new set of riding bib-shorts in a size Large and they fit very well; other riding stuff feels better as well.
  • It's been chilly the last couple mornings, so I put on my jeans.  Which fit better.
  • I can feel a little difference body-wise, but to me it's not noticeable visually (maybe my face looks a little thinner, and my rings slide on my fingers better, but otherwise?).
OTHER stuff:
  • Still have some shirts that should fit better...
  •  I could still be doing better with food.  I have seriously eaten pizza far too much the last couple weeks as I work with people and/or have it with the family or lunch/dinner with folks.  I try, on those days, to watch my intake at the other two meals.
Part of the cool here, I discovered, is that when the scale read 211 the other day I thought, "cool, that's almost 20 pounds off."  Because, as I mentioned in January, thinking in smaller, manageable increments makes achieving goals much easier.  And now that I am close to having 20 pounds off, I am more conscious of what I'm eating.  Don't want to go back up, after all, right?

So it's been a good month.  Thanks to all who rode with me and encouraged me along the way - MC, Daylin, Kevin, Pam, Dennis, Ross, and many others.  Tomorrow, holy crap, I will be 49 years old.  I don't know how 49 is supposed to feel, but it sounds kind of old...  I feel quite good, though.  I guess.  Two years ago today I had my last attack of diverticulitis before surgery that November.  I remember it hitting me the day before band camp, and I ended up missing Tuesday's camp that year.  Never missed a day before or since.  THAT situation seems to be entirely behind me now, so that's very cool.

And, finally, I guess you could say I'm looking forward to band camp next week.  I'm darn good at being lazy all summer, and would still retire tomorrow and sit around all day if I won the Lotto or something, but teaching is great.  I think part of that is because I don't really ever have to grow up - teenagers keep me (at least feeling) young...

No comments:

Post a Comment