Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The Summer Wind

OK, the opening organ stuff is cheesy and sounds like the old roller rink days and not like the great blues from a Hammond B3 as it should be, but this song sums up a lot...

I have decided over the years that the wind is my nemesis.  Countless times I have left on a ride against the wind only to have it shift on me and give me a headwind on the way home, too.  And blow?  No, the wind doesn't blow.  It sucks.  It sucks your energy, your enthusiasm, and your will to live.  (OK, maybe that's extreme...) 

A few years ago on my last attempt at the 24-hour challenge the wind was ridiculous.  I sincerely believe that it was in our faces every time we turned.  I remember yelling out loud as we made the final turn of the 125-mile loop into the school: "just make it stop!  This is driving me crazy!!"  Scared the crap out of the guy who had ridden up on my left side while I was looking the other way...  He thought I was nuts, I'm sure.


There have been many similar experiences; the worst of these are the rides where I forget to check the weather before I leave, and realize too late that I started out with the wind.  My feelings of elation are erased as I turn for home - "what a great ride this is!  I feel great!"  <turns for home>  "Never mind..."

It's usually about this time in most of these musings that I relate something about cycling to real life, or apply it somehow to a new situation.  This time, I close with this:  I saw a quote several years ago, while riding the MS 150, that I really appreciate:
     "There is no such thing as a tailwind.  It's either a headwind or you're having a great day."





No comments:

Post a Comment